The 2019-2020 Australian summer has delivered very testing times with devastating bush-fires followed by heavy rainfalls. Many of our popular canyoning areas have been and still are closed due to the damage caused, and ongoing risks associated with these events. So what is the future of Canyoning and our Association?
First, we are proud to announce that we are expanding our footprint. The New South Wales Canyoning Association has been officially renamed.
We are now The Australian Canyoning Association!
We have a big year ahead. So, what are our plans for 2020?
- Supporting our professional guides and companies in Adventure Aid on the 29th February and 1st March, 2020. This event is to raise funds for canyon care initiatives. See https://www.facebook.com/events/172843947393252/
- A skills weekend and social night on the 23rd May 2020.
- Liaison with the NPWS to gain access to the canyons as soon as it is safely possible.
- A regular activity program split between canyon care days, skills workshops, social weekends, newsletters, online interactive content, and other activities. A calendar will be announced soon.
- Canyon care initiatives in conjunction with the NPWS. This will include post bush-fire/flood hazard identification and rectification, anchor identification and replacement program, weed control, signage, track marking, and clean up days.
- Redeveloping and expanding our website with up to date content, information, and news about canyoning from all over Australia and around the world.
- Providing information about canyoning around Australia.
We’d love some suggestions/input/feedback from our members and all Canyoners on what you think we should be doing. Please complete a short survey by clicking here.
Once again, we’d like to thank our sponsors for coming on board during past events, and all our members who have supported the canyoning association so far!