The competition is now over. Winning photos can be seen on the NSWCA Facebook Page
- Entrants can submit up to three photographs via this Dropbox link (no account required).
- Each entry must be accompanied by entrant details, by filling in the following Google form.
- Initial entries must be submitted by 2 March 2019
Full competition rules can be found below
2019 NSWCA Photo Competition Rules
Award Night: 23rd March 2019
Location: Mt Wilson Community Hall
- Neil Aldred
- Jake Anderson
- Tom Brennan
The prime concept is a connection with the Canyon Environment and all submissions must be canyon related. There are five categories:
- Flora and Fauna
- Landscape – Colour
- Landscape – Black and White
- Overseas canyons
How to Enter and Rules:
- The organiser of the 2019 NSWCA Photo Competition is the NSW Canyoning Association Inc (“NSWCA”)
- Who may enter: all persons can enter other than the judging panel and immediate family members.
- Photographs must have been taken within two years of the final award night
- Any image entered must not have won an award (including second, third or commendation placements) in any other public national or international competition judged by a judge or judging panel. Images that have won awards in competitions on photo sharing websites and the like that have resulted from rating by peer users of that site are acceptable.
- An entrant can enter no more than 3 photographs into the Competition.
- A digital copy in JPEG form must be submitted via Dropbox to https://www.dropbox.com/request/G1qeI1WT7DXHYMt1lT4v by the 2nd of March 2019. The file size per photo must not exceed 4MB, and should not be less than 500KB. A minimum length on the long edge of 2000 pixels is recommended.
- Each entry must be clearly labelled with the entrant’s name, category and phone number for identification. Please fill in the NSWCA Photo Competition Entry form on the website
- Multiple exposures taken from exactly the same location at approximately the same time are allowed – for example, for focus stacking, panoramas or dynamic range enhancement – as long as the integrity of the original scene is retained.
- Acceptable adjustments are allowed:
- moderate changes to levels, curves, colour, saturation, contrast, shadow and highlights
- dodging and burning
- sharpening, noise reduction, lens perspective correction and minor cleaning (eg dust specks)
- Prints will be displayed on award night therefore must be reproduced in the following size:
- 12 inch x 18 inch
- Prints should be mounted on a backing board so they can be hung in a hall
- Prints are not required to be framed
- Not all prints will be displayed either due to the number of entries or hanging space.
- Entrants must complete the online form on the NSWCA website prior to delivery and sign an online release form.
- By entering the competition, entrants grant to the organiser and a perpetual, non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to use their images without payment for any purpose connected with:
- judging the Competition
- promotion of the Competition; and/or
- production of a NSWCA 2020 Canyoning calendar, any proceeds of which will be put towards the NSWCA Canyon Care Project.
- Prints may be displayed at commercial shops that are associated with the Competition
- All prints collected will not be covered by insurance or loss or theft if damaged during storage and transport
- All prints can be collected at the end of the event or with negotiation with the event organiser.
- The photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the Contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph.
Judging will be undertaken by 3 independent judges and will go through two rounds of judging. The judging criteria will consist of:
- Creativity of the shot (40/40)
- Quality of Photograph (40/40)
- Originality, Genuineness and authenticity. (20/20)
Time line for Judging:
- March 2nd – Receive initial digital images and entries close
- March 9th – First round of judging completed and shortlisted entrants advised
- March 20th – Receive shortlisted prints for display and second round of judging completed
- March 23rd – Finalist announced and people’s choice voted on