The Australian Canyoning Association aims to
- foster an appreciation for and co-operate to pursue safe, responsible canyoning and related activities.
- promote a code of ethics for canyoning.
- be the voice for the canyoning community.
- care for the environment.
The association plans to contribute to this by:
- liaison (including other associations, relevant authorities, and landholders).
- assisting practically in caring for canyoning related environments (for example, working with relevant authorities, arranging working bees for the purpose of anchor maintenance, track maintenance and bushcare).
- developing and maintaining a recommended guide for safe and responsible canyoning (including guidelines for canyon leaders).
- arranging workshops for the development of safe and responsible canyoning skills (including safe anchors, rigging options, knots for canyoning, and equipment).
- maintaining a link with international canyoning bodies.
- developing and maintaining a canyon registry, consistent with preserving the wilderness integrity of unpublished canyons.
- developing and promoting a consistent method of canyon grading.